I forgot my password

Current Version: v0.0.01A

Alpha version

Changelogs to come

Poll

Changes to the way I release versions? (read the thread)

63% 63% [ 5 ]
38% 38% [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 8

Latest topics
» Faction creeps
Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:49 am by Grass Hopper

» [SCII] [Inquisition] Hector Rex
Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 am by Grass Hopper

» [necrons] Orikan, the Diviner
Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 pm by Grass Hopper

» Talent System
Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:59 am by Grass Hopper

» Capture Points system
Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:36 pm by Grass Hopper

» [SCII] [Orks] Warboss(es)
Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:44 am by Grass Hopper

» Game Guide
Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:12 pm by Grass Hopper

» [Inquisition] Mordrak
Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:28 pm by Grass Hopper

» [inquiition] Kaldor Draigo
Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:07 pm by Grass Hopper

» [inquisitoin] Brother-captain Stern
Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:37 pm by Grass Hopper

Version Progress
Changes for v0.02.0A
||||||||||||||||||||[] [general]
||||||||||||||||||||[] [Heroes]
||||||||||||||||||||[] [Items]
||||||||||||||||||||[] [Bugs]
||||||||||||||||||||[] [Total]

FREEEEEEEEEDOM!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: FREEEEEEEEEDOM!!!

Post by DeusMechanicus on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 am

I think it was kind of a cheap cop out because they wrote themselves into a corner with the Necron fluff. The C'tan lead the Necrons to harvest almost the entire galaxy before ... and it was about to happen again, there really was nothing that could stop them. So it came down to, "How do we stop the Necrons from killing the game?".

And it kind of contradicts other fluff, such as the Eldar's prophecy and Psyker visions. Two examples- if the Nightbringer was shattered into a thousand shards, how did the Ultramarines run into him on Pavonis? And how did the Emperor best the Void Dragon and entomb him on Mars if he was already a bunch of imprisoned shards?

But then when has GW ever cared about their story? They're the kings of contradictions. They should get into American politics, they'd do great...

While I like the changes they made to the army list, I just can't get behind the fluff.

Last edited by DeusMechanicus on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:08 am; edited 4 times in total

“The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!”

HEROES: Ku'gath Plaguefather | Hector Rex | Ghazghkull Thraka !
DeusMechanicus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cellrawr on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:47 am

.-. Aren't they basically Tomb Kings (Fantasy) in space now?

cellrawr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeusMechanicus on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 am

Yup. They're nearly identical now.

GW more or less just pulled a Bungie.

"Shit, we made the Flood unbeatable. What do we do? Uhhh ... 'partial' HALO explosion? YES!"

"Shit, we made the Necrons unbeatable. What do we do? Uhhh... rewrite their history? YES!"

“The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!”

DeusMechanicus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grass Hopper on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:26 am

On the ctan:
In the new book they are pretty much brings of infinite power. Prolly on par with other gods. The ctan shards of the new book are pretty much the equivalent of the old ctan stat line. Plus not all shards are accounted for, or imprisoned, and its implied that shards can reform. So just replace all other references to ctan with the appropriate shard and it still makes sense. Possibly even more so (like could the emperor fight with a literal god and win? I unno. But he could defeat a shard)

And unto the masses, He doth spoke:
"Behold The Stuff! It Is Good!"
And the Stuff was good.

Heroes:
Commander Farsight (colab - implemented) - Ku'gaath Plaguefather(incomplete) - Ilyana Arienal(incomplete) - Harlequin Shadowseer(incomplete) - Modular Tau Battlesuit(sandbox)
Grass Hopper
Admin

View user profile http://40kaos.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glycine on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:00 pm

DeusMechanicus wrote:I think it was kind of a cheap cop out because they wrote themselves into a corner with the Necron fluff. The C'tan lead the Necrons to harvest almost the entire galaxy before ... and it was about to happen again, there really was nothing that could stop them. So it came down to, "How do we stop the Necrons from killing the game?".

And it kind of contradicts other fluff, such as the Eldar's prophecy and Psyker visions. Two examples- if the Nightbringer was shattered into a thousand shards, how did the Ultramarines run into him on Pavonis? And how did the Emperor best the Void Dragon and entomb him on Mars if he was already a bunch of imprisoned shards?

But then when has GW ever cared about their story? They're the kings of contradictions. They should get into American politics, they'd do great...

While I like the changes they made to the army list, I just can't get behind the fluff.

You know what I'd really want? I want the story to progress, to get out of the 41st mill. They can even hold a worldwide event to allow the players themselves to play and modify history. But all that's happening now is rehashing of history and fluff, discontinuous and disorganized.

I'm sure there are ways to explain your examples. But the fact is that they shouldn't have to be explained. When you change a whole race's history, you'll miss a few spots, but they shouldn't be gaping black holes of questionability.

Grass Hopper wrote:On the ctan:
In the new book they are pretty much brings of infinite power. Prolly on par with other gods. The ctan shards of the new book are pretty much the equivalent of the old ctan stat line. Plus not all shards are accounted for, or imprisoned, and its implied that shards can reform. So just replace all other references to ctan with the appropriate shard and it still makes sense. Possibly even more so (like could the emperor fight with a literal god and win? I unno. But he could defeat a shard)

The shards give a convenient cop-out to deus's examples. If it was merely a shard of the nightbringer, then it might even make more sense why it was so weak. And Grass already talked about the void dragon.
Glycine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grass Hopper on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:09 pm

As with most of Ward's fluff, apparently, you need to look past his poor writing and imagine yourself how things should have gone within the context of his fluff.

Example? Draigo. He isn't actually curb-stomping the realms of freaken chaos. He is actually being played by the Dark Gods, and his story is one of uselessness and frustration.

And the Stuff was good.

Heroes:
Commander Farsight (colab - implemented) - Ku'gaath Plaguefather(incomplete) - Ilyana Arienal(incomplete) - Harlequin Shadowseer(incomplete) - Modular Tau Battlesuit(sandbox)
Grass Hopper
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glycine on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:49 am

That said, how *should* the Necron fluff have been written?
Glycine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeusMechanicus on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:45 am

Not pussify the C'tan?

Okay, after calming from my initial nerdrage, I reread the codex and ... It's meh. I really don't like humanizing the galaxy-harvesting robotic grimdark sociopaths, but whatever, I can live with that. But what they did to the C'tan ... makes me want to find the guy who wrote it and beat him to the brink of death with the codex. Their explanation on how they killed these "god-like" beings? That was a cop-out if I ever read one. One line? One line to describe the weapons that could sunder their gods? After they put so much shit in for the Black Stone Fortresses which were supposed to be the big Anti-C'tan weapons.

Oh, and explain how the Nightbringer sowed the image of the Reaper into the minds of humanity (and all other races, save the Orks) and the Deceiver altered the genetics of humans to produce Pariahs when they are SHARDS before humanity even evolved?! Oh, and apparently the Outsider is the only C'tan that escaped? Unless they changed that he dwells outside the galaxy. They seemed to skim right over that fact without mentioning it.

DeusMechanicus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grass Hopper on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Pariahs have been completly retconed. Lame indeed. And a lot of the old ctan fluff doesn't really fit anymore.
Just remeber. Just cause its not mentioned doesn't mean it no longer exists. Blackstone fortresses still Make sense, for example

And the Stuff was good.

Heroes:
Grass Hopper
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ZebioLizard on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:58 am

And blanks are probably still in as well, pariahs in general however are no go.
ZebioLizard
Veteran Seargent

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cellrawr on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Boobs

cellrawr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeusMechanicus on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

tits or GTFO!

DeusMechanicus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Occuli.Imperator.Aquillon on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:34 pm

DERP Very Happy
Occuli.Imperator.Aquillon
Space Marine
Space Marine

View user profile

Back to top Go down